Auditory Training Study
Who is conducting the study? This research is being conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland Center for Advanced Study of Language (CASL).
What would I have to do? Participate in 12 sessions of approximately 1.5-2 hours each at the University of Maryland and/or CASL (Center for Advanced Study of Language, near the College Park Metro). The sessions involve completing questionnaires and computerized tasks. All sessions must be completed within approximately 5 weeks.
How would I be compensated? Participants receive a total of $165 for completing the entire study. Payments will be made at a rate of $5 per session with a $105 bonus provided at the end of the last session to bring the total to $165. In addition, upon completion of the study, participants will be entered into a raffle for one of 3 $150 gift cards.
How do I sign up? Sign up for the Auditory Training Study on the Paid SONA System (http://umpsychology-paid.sona-systems.com) or by emailing us at Auditory@casl.umd.edu. You will have to complete a pre-screen to check your eligibility before signing up.
Questions or concerns? Email us at Auditory@casl.umd.edu.
If you are interested in participating but don’t have time to do 12 sessions, we are now offering a 4-session version on SONA for a limited time. This study offers a total of $55 plus a raffle entry for one $150 gift card.
We are looking for individuals who fit the following criteria:
1) 18-30 years of age
2) Native speaker of American English
3) Normal hearing
4) Normal or corrected-to-normal vision
5) No speech/language disorders or learning disabilities
6) Unimpaired use of both hands
7) US Citizen
Learning & Cognition Study
The University of Maryland’s Center for Advanced Study of Language (CASL) is recruiting participants for a study investigating learning and cognition. This multi-session study may involve:
1) 1 MRI session (about 0.5 hours, $25 compensation). This session will be completed first and will determine eligibility for the remainder of the sessions.
2) 4 sessions involving answering questionnaires and completing many short cognitive tasks to assess memory, attention, and perception, each about 2 hours, $25 compensation)
3) 1 EEG session (about 2.5 hours, $30 compensation)
To participate in the study, you must
1) be 18-30 years of age
2) be a native speaker of American English
3) have normal hearing
4) not have any speaking or reading disabilities
5) have normal or corrected-to-normal vision
6) not have experience with the Chinese language,
7) Not be taking any psychoactive drugs (including Zoloft, Ritalin, and drugs of abuse)
8) Have no known history of psychological conditions (including ADD, depression, PTSD, and clinical anxiety)
9) Have no known history of neurological conditions (including stroke, seizure, brain tumor, or closed head injury)
10) Be right-handed
11) Have no metal in your body (including pacemakers, neural implants, metal plates or joints, shrapnel, and surgical staples)
12) Not be claustrophobic
13) Not be pregnant
14) Not have a hairstyle that prevents the EEG cap from making contact with the scalp
15) Not have a tattoo that is less than 2 weeks old